What is Kohl’s Most Valued Customer (MVC) and How do I Become One?
Everyone loves to shop! Most avid shoppers will do anything they can to get promotions, perks, and extra discounts. At Kohl’s, we’ve found that the best way to take advantage of extra perks is to get a store card charge and use it smartly.
For those who love Kohl’s thanks to their sales and frequent discounts, there are additional ways to enjoy these perks. When you sign up for the Kohl’s charge card and become an MVC, or Most Valued Customer! You get access to more ways to benefit from saving money on clothes and home goods you love!
Becoming an MVC for Kohl’s provides customers with the ability to get special discounts and benefits that are provided only to card holders. Their charge card offers no annual fee, providing additional opportunities to save money.
Perks of Being a Cardholder
Here are a few of the best perks we noticed about being a Kohl’s cardholder.
- Easy no-receipt returns
- Monthly discounts and coupons
- 35% off initial purchase
- Ability to become a lifelong MVC
- Pair card discounts with other store discounts
- No annual fee
Let’s dive into these a bit more.
Kohl’s cardholders are granted 35% off their first purchase. New cardholders also get a 15% off coupon to use at a later date. On top of the initial discounts, monthly discounts are mailed out for your enjoyment. Returns are simplified for cardholders as no receipt is required.
Any cardholder has the ability to become a lifelong MVC. To enter this category, you’re required to spend $600 per year. Reaching lifelong MVC level gives you the chance to get 6 additional discounts each year. You also can get a birthday surprise and free shipping at certain times. We really like that free shipping possibility!
Cardholders do not have a special rewards program but Kohl’s does offer a free rewards program for any customer to join. Their rewards program provides any customer 1 point for every dollar spent. You get cash back and you’re not required to be a card holder to enjoy it.
The Kohl’s charge card is designed to be used at any Kohl’s location or online. While there is no annual fee, the APR is pretty high at 27.24%. This is pretty common for store cards but something to be aware of.
Potential Benefits of Being a Kohl’s MVC
There are several benefits with regard to owning a Kohl’s charge card, and some of them include:
- Customers receive additional savings opportunities through the year.
- Advance notification by mail of sales and promotions
- Mobile payment options
- Access to My Kohl’s Charge which gives account balance access and allows you to sign up for paperless billing
- Receipt-free returns
- Spend $600 in a calendar year and become a lifetime MVC (Jan 1 – Dec 31)
- Extra offers including a birthday offer and free shipping events for lifetime MVC holders
Get the Most Out of Your Card
If you’re going to take the leap and go for a card, there are some things you can do to get the most out of your card. We’ve done the research and have the best tips to help you out.
Here are a few tips to help ensure you get the most from your Kohl’s charge card.
- Start Using Your Card Immediately: Once you’re approved for your card, you will be given a temporary card number which allows you to begin shopping immediately.
- Take advantage of discounts. On your first purchase, you’ll be rewarded with a 35% discount. You’ll also get a 15% discount in the mail and periodic discounts through the mail through the year. You will need to use your charge card to take advantage of the cardholder offers.
- Combine discounts. You can combine card discounts with other Kohl’s discounts and special promotions. This includes the Yes2You rewards program and Kohl’s cash.
- Enroll in Yes2You program. The rewards from this program are free and simple and you can pair them with your cardholder offers.
- Register at My Kohl’s Charge: Once receiving your card, activate it and create your online account in order to monitor it and easily make payments.
- Use the App: The app is a convenient way to review all of your information, including benefits and discounts.
- Become a lifetime MVC. Spend at least $600 in a calendar year to become a lifetime MVC, which awards you additional discounts through the year, a birthday gift and access to free shipping promotions.
- Set up Autopay. It’s recommended to set up autopay to pay your balance every month. You can also pay your balance in full each month to avoid excessive interest.
- Consider a different card unless using discounts. If you’re looking to access a discount from Kohl’s, you’ll need to use your charge card. However, if you aren’t, consider using a different charge card for your purchase. If you’re trying to get to the $600 mark use your Kohl’s charge card.
As far as the credit limit, this is different for every person. Your credit score and income level are determining factors as to what type of credit line you will be given upon approval of the Kohl’s charge card. You can request an increase by logging into your account and you will have the ability to increase your credit line every three months upon approval.
Kohl’s offers several benefits and advantages to MVC’s and shoppers alike. The Kohl’s charge card does have a lot of great benefits, particularly if you shop there often. The interest is the thing to really be aware of as it can be quite high.